I like to play with the feel of interiors, throwing together things that you might not always think to combine. One of my favorite looks at the moment is something I like to call 'dark feminine,' which pairs things that we traditionally associate with 'feminine' decor — curves, intricate patterns, soft fabrics, flowers — with dark, moody colors. The result is mysterious, intriguing, and unexpectedly modern.
1. That aubergine velvet sofa! Yum. Home of Dita von Teese, photographed by Douglas Friedman for InStyle, via Ananas a Miami.
2. Kind of bizarre and over the top... but in a really good way. From Nuevo Estilo.
3. A moody living room with touches of pink, spotted on Farrow & Ball's inspiration website.
4. A beautiful Williamsburg apartment, spotted in Design*Sponge. The whole place has a kind of moody, languid elegance. Check it out.
5. I love this table setting — so girly and so grownup at the same time. It's from a roller derby themed wedding (!) spotted on 100 Layer Cake.
6. Abigail Ahern does it right. Here's her living room, spotted in The Selby.
7. From Lauren & Kevin's Urban Jungle Oasis, a black bedroom with touches of gold.
8. Lovely, dark inspiration for a Thanksgiving dinner, from Michelle Varian, via Dear Designer.
9. I love how the delicate elements in this room — the floral wallpaper, the chandelier, the white table — offset the gravitas of the dark wood floor and black trim. Emily Anderson for Peppermint Bliss.
10. Dark, brocaded wallpaper provides a beautiful contrast with marble in this bathroom by Ashley Goforth Design.
(Images: as linked above)