We're surveying some of the coolest guys we know about life as a modern dad.
Name: John Petersik
Kid: Clara, age 2
Location: Richmond, VA
Where to find me online: Young House Love
1. A song I'll be really bummed if my kids don't end up loving: Whitesnake's "Here I Go Again." I'm already bummed my wife doesn't like it.
2. A parenting trick that works for me and not for my wife: Those awkwardly giant race car shopping carts? You know, the ones that make grocery shopping bearable? I'm the pro driver of the family.
3. My favorite toy from childhood: I was a LEGO nut. My parents actually just gave me two big tupperware bins of my old LEGO's that I'll break out when Clara's a bit older.
4. A product I would recommend to another dad: I just put an iBert child seat on my bike so Sherry and I can take Clara on nice long rides (thankfully Clara loves it).
5. My favorite children's book: Wacky stuff like Where The Sidewalks Ends and Sideways Stories from Wayside School will always have a place in my heart.
6. A website or blog I visit regularly: I tried to think of something cool to say, but really I'm just addicted to Facebook.
7. A question I hope my kid never asks me: Anything about feminine hygiene products. My first job involved advertising tampons, so if Clara ever asks me I'm afraid I might reveal how much I actually know. And that could be awkward... for both of us.
8. My favorite way to spend a few hours with my kids: Singing and dancing to the radio in our kitchen. She's got the moves like Jagger.
9. A myth about modern dads: That being a modern father means you spend more time playing with your kids. It also means more time dressing, diapering, bathing, cooking for, shopping for, and cleaning up after your kids. It takes cajones.
10. My parenting superpower: Making diaper changes fun. It usually involves improvised songs... sometimes with lyrics about poop.
More posts in this series