If you thought that the blending of modern design and kids' rooms ends at the ever-present Eames rocker, you're wrong! There are so many beautiful works of modern design that will work well in a kid's room. Here are 5 of my favorite possibilities — pieces that are both full of color and hard-wearing:
1. The Flowerpot pendant lamp, designed by Verner Panton, adds an amazing pop of color to any room. Available at the Danish Design Store for $380.00
2. The Nelson Ball clock designed by George Nelson in 1948, available from Design Within Reach for $375.00+ (comes in a variety of colors).
3. Philippe Starcke's Bubu stools are perfect for a kids' space: they have hidden storage, and are easy to clean, just wipe down. Can be used as a stool or side table. $110 for the plastic stools, or $544.50 for the chrome, from All Modern.
4. The String Pocket shelf would be perfect for kids books or toys. Designed by Swedish architect Nils Strinning in the 1940s, available from the Finnish Design Shop for $149.00 (also in a variety of colors).
5. If all of these are out of your price range, why not start here with this beautiful set of AMAC plastic storage containers from their M series? Featured in MoMA's permanent design collection, a small starter set is only $29.99 from the AMAC store.
(Images: as linked above)