Short curtains are definitely not in vogue right now, with long drapes showing up consistently across the pages of design magazines and blogs. Yet there are legitimate reasons to go short, whether you have a cat who likes to claw the curtains, a radiator below the window, or you just like the look.
It's true that you can always choose shades, but short curtains have a casual, laid-back look that sometimes suits a room better than blinds. We know there are short curtain haters out there, and we'll probably get some heat for this, but we've rounded up a few examples to illustrate our point. In terms of length, all of these curtains fall at or slightly below the window sill.
- 1 This curtain from the Purl Bee covers the window without hiding the wall molding.
- 2 A sofa beneath the window makes short curtains a practical choice.
- 3 In Luciano & Marzia's home, curtains stop short of the radiator.
- 4 A cafe curtain provides privacy and adds some color to Rachel's door.
- 5 Beth's curtains are unconventional, but the blue bar at the bottom adds a pop of the room's dominant color at mid-level, between the blue of the chair below and the wall up high.
Photos: Purl Bee (1), Sarah Coffey (2-3), Rachel (4), Beth (5)