Originating in Germany in the mid-1800’s, garden gnomes quickly became popular all over the world for gardeners who valued their powers to protect and helpfulness in the garden. Oddly enough, these mythical little creatures, who traditionally don white beards and cone-shaped hats, are often the subject of controversies like the Garden Gnome Liberation Front, the traveling gnome prank, and even a banning from London’s prestigious Chelsea Flower Show.
The gnomes in this roundup, as stylish reinterpretations of the traditional bearded fellow, are well suited for the modern garden, but will definitely give your mischievous neighborhood high schoolers more of an incentive to steal from your lawn. I especially love the Baddy gnome, who comes in eight different colors (including glow in the dark!) and The Non Conformist, who seems to be giving the finger to those snobby British ladies who outlawed his brethren from the fancy flower show.
1. Baddy by Joe Velluto, via Plust
2. Grime Watch Gnome, via Vitamin
3. Urban Gnomes, via Generate
4. Brooklyn Rehab Garden Gnome, via Domestica
5. Zombie Gnomes, via Chris and Jane’s Place
6. Gnome Stool by Philippe Starck for Kartell, via The Future Perfect
7. Handmade Modern-Vintage Gnome, via 2 Chicks and a Fancy Owl
8. The Non Conformist, via Garden Life