I have always had a soft spot for crocheted granny squares. Whether it's childhood memories tugging at my heart, or the thought of a hot mug of cider in front of a warm fire, crocheted granny-squared afghans always brings good feelings along with them.
However, you don't have to be a fan of granny chic to display a beautiful crocheted piece in your home. Modern color coupled with traditional yarn technique yields beautiful, and often contemporary, results.
Modern crochet adds texture, warmth, and a "homey" feeling to even the the most minimalist space. Check out a few of my favorites from around the web —great examples of traditional fiber art that give a space just the right touch of warmth and whimsy.
1. My inspiration for this post — an absolutely stunning and airy crocheted piece by Sandra Juto. Photo and work by Sandra Juto via My Modern Met
2. This is a fun take on the granny square that I hadn't seen yet — an extension into trendy chevron! By Plus 3 Crochet
3. A great example of color-blocking with granny square. This blog is in Dutch, but a picture is worth a thousand words. By Monique's Place
4. From a furniture shop's styling: gorgeous room setup. Photo by Modern Times
5. Another bright and airy piece that adds the white, clean feeling of the room. By Where Your Heart Is
(Images as linked above)