We love modular furniture at Apartment Therapy. It allows for reconfiguration, so you can refresh your space without waste. For a starter course in modular design, we searched our archives for the best examples of flexible storage pieces, rugs, and sofas...
- 1 The String Shelving System and String Pocket by Nisse Strinning are two wall-mounted shelving systems with open and closed components that can be expanded and stacked.
- 2 FLOR carpet tiles are an Apartment Therapy favorite. They're partially made from recycled content, and they're also recyclable; you can send them back to the manufacturer for reuse. The modular grid allows you to mix different colors and patterns into one large area rug.
- 3 Another product we see a lot on Apartment Therapy are the Cubit and Cubitec shelves. These plastic grid shelves have interlocking elements that can be easily stacked, rearranged, and expanded.
- 4 Modular sofas are expandable sectionals that can be split up into a pair of loveseats or connected into one long, continuous seating arrangement. The Tillary Modular Seating from West Elm is shown above.
- 5 Anna Castelli Ferrieri's Componibili Storage Units are freestanding pieces made of ABS plastic that can be stacked into a tower, or split up into a set of smaller pieces.
Photos: String, FLOR, DWR, West Elm, Kartell