breakfast is the most important meal of the day, and it's not just an old wives tale. We discuss the health implications of having a good breakfast and the effects of coffee, as well as show you tons of great breakfast appliances, gadgets, and plenty of ways to brew your coffee (or tea). Also check out our first two installments, Why We Can't Sleep At Night Or Wake Up In The Morning and How To Kick Start Your Morning & Bathroom Routines for insight and tips on our sleep and mornings habits - all in our quest to cure ourselves of the Monday Morning Blues!
WebMD agrees with mom's logic - breakfast is the most important meal of the day, however many skip breakfast because they don't have enough time in the morning. Consider though that by eating a healthy breakfast you're setting yourself up to be more productive and full of energy throughout the day. By spending the time up front, you're creating more time for yourself down the road. Others skip or skimp on breakfast as part of a diet routine, but research and studies show that it's almost entirely the opposite. Skipping a meal causes your body to try to conserve as much energy as possible. Your metabolism slows down and your system isn't working efficiently in the long run. Many myth busting studies show the problem with starvation diets and it's generally accepted that they aren't good for you.
We consulted with Sara McClean, RDLDN, and Jinee Burdg, RDLDN, dietitians at non-profit Moveable Feast which provides nutrition advice and delivers meals customized to the health requirements of homebound Marylanders living with HIV/AIDS, breast cancer, and other life-threatening conditions. They shed some light on the importance of breakfast, explaining that breakfast gives you energy to function throughout the day. "Choosing the right foods for energy is important" Jinee says, "many people will drink a lot of juice in the morning thinking that it's healthy when it's really full of sugar, which might give you a blip of energy but really causes you to crash the rest of the day." Protein and fiber are good for your body in the morning. Sara and Jinee suggest eating foods such as wholegrain cereal, oatmeal, fruits, or peanut butter on whole wheat toast.
"Consider if you skip breakfast you've often gone 15-16 hours without eating so you're really putting a strain on your body. It doesn't have to be 'breakfast' foods, you can eat anything. The foods we consider breakfast foods are all cultural as opposed to any biological reason. You should eat a balanced meal, no matter if it's breakfast, lunch, or dinner. - Sara McClean, RDLDN"
Those who feast on a simple coffee breakfast or knock back the black stuff all day have health implications to consider as well. While studies have shown coffee drinkers to be less likely to have diabetes, Parkinson's disease, dementia, strokes, and other diseases, many scientists argue about the real hard direct link with the association - correlation does not necessarily equal causation. Coffee is bad for those with stomach ulcers or acid reflux because it causes increased acid secretion, giving you a tummy ache. Pro-coffee drinkers argue that the antioxidants in coffee as well as magnesium and chromium help battle diseases. But it's not coffee alone that hurts you - consider the creamer and sugar you add in, as well as the effects of caffeine. Caffeine is a mildly addictive stimulant and once its effects wear off you'll be fatigued again early in the day. You'll also need to head to the bathroom a whole lot more because caffeine is a diuretic. Consider also if you're simply drinking coffee, then you're missing out on all the nutrients your body needs, particularly in the morning. As with anything, moderation and balance are the key. So go ahead and eat your way to a healthier morning and get the right kind of energy to keep you going throughout the day. Share your morning breakfast menus and favorites as well as your what trusty gadgets and appliances help get your breakfast together in the morning. Coffee lovers, let us know what gets your morning brew going and what/how much you're drinking. Share with us what helps get your day started right! [ Continue reading part 1 - Why We Can't Sleep At Night Or Wake Up In The Morning and part 2 - How To Kickstart Your Morning & Bathroom Routines]
- Breakfast in a Flash: Two Products That Can Civilize Your Morning Grub!
- Breakfast Gadget Makes Mornings Go By Smoothly
- Final Frame: Jump Start Your Breakfast
- Monday Breakfast: How Do You Start Off Your week? (the kitchn)
- Hardcuore's Breakfast Plate Music Sampler
- One-Touch Grub is the Future of Kitchen Tech
- The Realization That You Really Do Need a Toaster
- Kitchen Counter Battle: Toaster vs. Toaster Oven
- Toaster or Toaster Oven: Which Do You Prefer?
- Your Quick Guide to Toaster Oven Maintenance
- The Amazing See Through Toaster
- Kitchen (or Kitschy) Tech: Nordica Radio Toaster
- The Bodum Bistro Toasters Are for Color Lovers
- No Coil Toaster: The Magimix Vision Toaster
- The Space Invaders Toaster
- Toaster Mod: Eat Pac-Man & Space Invaders For Breakfast
- Small Space Cooking: LG Combo Microwave Oven & Toaster
- Look! The Printer Toaster
- Quite Possibly the Most Stylish Toaster Ever
Pancakes & Waffles
- Star Wars Pancake Molds
- The ChefStack Automatic Pancake Machine
- Wafflesicle Maker & Other "Interesting" Appliances
- Latte Factor: Ways On Saving Money On Your Cup of Coffee
- The Best Multi-Function Coffee and Espresso Machines
- 10 Best Looking Coffee Makers
- 9 Great New Designer Espresso Machines
- 5 Stylish Espresso Machines & Coffee Makers
- Crowd Pleasing Gifts For The Coffee Lover
- Bean Drinking: Perfect to Find Coffee Makers & Coffee
- Gaggia & Modo Mio: Brewing Espresso With Style
- Mornings Made Easy: Coffee Maker with Voice Recognition
- Stylish & Compact Digrato Coffee Maker
- Perfect Pod Serves Up Your Favorite Brew in Pod Form
- Touch Screen Coffee & Espresso Machines
- Swiss-Made Jura Capresso Coffee & Espresso Machines
- Great New Espresso Machine From Caffitaly
- Stylish & Compact Digrato Coffee Maker
- Breville’s Programmable Espresso Maker with “Burr” Action
- Kitchen Tech Survey: Do You Own an Electric Kettle?
- Teasmade Alarm Clock Wakes You Up to Tea
- Best Technological Kettles For Tea Lovers
- Vera Electric Kettle by Casa Bugatti
- Kenwood Response Tea Kettle
- Teavana Auto Tea
Monday Morning Blues Tech Cures
- Part 1 - Why We Can't Sleep At Night Or Wake Up In The Morning
- Part 2 - How To Kick Start Your Morning & Bathroom Routines
- Part 3 - Get Your Day Started Right With A Good Breakfast & Coffee