We had so much fun putting together our dream Moroccan bathroom yesterday that we thought we'd check out some real bathrooms from the region, varying widely in style from modern and minimal to over-the-top spaces that would feel at home in Las Vegas.Morocco is well known for its richly patterned encaustic cement tiles and jewel-toned mosaic ceramic tiles. In the hot climate of North Africa, tile helps to naturally cool down a space, and it's easy to clean and maintain.
- Photos 1-2) Riad Tarabel, Marrakech: The "Jasmin Room" at the Riad Tarabel has a traditional colonial-style bathroom with a clawfoot tub in the center of the room. We love the gray paint, the shutters, and the chrome and white fixtures.
- Photo 3) Le Nid des Cigognes, Marrakech: This bathroom is from a gorgeous guest house that skillfully combines old and new. The modern ceramic sink is a really nice complement to the traditional carved wood details.
- Photo 4) Jnane Tamsna Hotel, Marrakech: This elaborate bathroom has a lot of traditional elements, like punched metal hanging lamps and inlaid wood details. We're really drawn to the blue and yellow color scheme with gold accents.
- Photos 5-6) Zelliges and Cement Tiles from Emery & Cie: European company Emery & Cie sells mosaic and cement tiles made in Morocco. Their website offers a really interesting look at how these tiles are hand-made, painted, and glazed.
- Photo 7) Riad Due, Marrakech: This high-end hotel uses a neutral color scheme in the bathroom. The high-contrast, black and white decor seems modern, but the materials used are very traditional: stone floors, metal lamps, solid wood storage furniture.
- Photo 8) Heure Bleue, Essaouria: This bathroom has a lot of traditional elements: heavily carved furniture, stone floors, modern countertops. The simplicity of the colors and materials balances the richly detailed carving.
- Photo 9) P'tit Habibi, Marrakech: We love the black mosaic countertop paired with a metal basin sink. The lantern is a nice detail that softens the decor.
- Photo 10) Mosaic House Tile: Mosaic House is a New York-based company that specializes in ceramic and encaustic Moroccan tile. This blue bathroom is an over-the-top example of a space tiled in traditional Moroccan patterns.
Photos: Riad Tarabel, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Jnane Tamsna, Emery & Cie, Mosaic House