This weekend, I will receive keys for our new apartment! We'll be measuring, planning and making a list of what we'll need to do before we make our big move later next week. This rental is in amazing condition for NYC and we can't wait to call it home.Conveniently, this new apartment is only a few blocks away from our current digs. Though we've hired movers for the big stuff, the proximity should make it fairly painless.
THINGS TO DO BEFORE THE BIG MOVE
• bring over basic cleaning supplies (baking soda, glass cleaner, dish soap, paper towels, rags)
• measure the space and record all measurements (if we're feeling especially geeky, we may even transfer this information to an Illustrator document and combine it with the floorplan)
• assess what needs to be painted and priortize painting projects
• begin to make change of address notifications
Some of our favorite and most useful furniture pieces will have to find a new place — and in some cases, a new purpose. In our current apartment, we don't have much storage, and we've supplemented the space with lots of storage furniture. But as you can see, the new kitchen is AMAZING for Manhattan and is filled with storage, so a lot of shelves and cabinets may find themselves on the Apartment Therapy classifieds in the coming weeks. I can't wait to unpack and set up a new kitchen — it's my favorite part of moving!
How would you use this space?
MORE ON MOVING
• 7 Things To Do Before You Move In
• Our Best Moving Tips
• Moving: What To Unpack First