Have you ever moved and found yourself in your new home without the essentials on hand? Try packing a box of necessities that you'll need while you're getting unpacked. Some things you might include:
- towels and cleanser for washing up at the end of the long day
- plates, cups and utensils for dinner. Even if your furniture isn't set up, a makeshift first-night dinner on the floor still requires a few basics.
- matches: if your new place has a gas cooktop and you can't get it lit, these can come in very handy when you're first settling in
- chargers for personal electronics such as laptop, cell phone, etc.
- some basic cleaning supplies: rags for wiping down surfaces before unpacking, a small broom and dustpan
- a sheet set: you don't want to be caught on the first night in your new home, tired and ready for bed, without sheets to sleep on
Pack this box last so it's the first thing you'll get to when you unpack. With a little planning ahead, it could save a few headaches.
Do you have any other "open first" box items you would include? Please share in the comments below.
Image: Apartment Therapy Boston