There's been a lot of moving among the LA team. As the only one staying put we, or rather I, am jealous. The living out of boxes part, not so much, but there are other parts — the getting rid of clutter, the chance to start fresh, exploring a new neighborhood, the enthusiasm for home and all the home projects —that are very appealing. Until I move, here's how I fake it.
(Image: Beth Zeigler)
- Splurge on a cleaning lady: coming home to a freshly cleaned apartment, smelling of lavender or other natural scents, makes me feel as if my home is new.
- Make a small change: I went to Ikea and got new pillows and duvet covers. Suddenly my bed feels different.
- Hire a professional organizer: Revamp a space in your home that's been troubling you.
- Redo a closet. paint it, wallpaper it, rearrange it, get rid of stuff.
- Rearrange the furniture - you could discover a new arrangement that is a big improvement.
- Swap homes with someone for a week or two to try on a new neighborhood and get some fresh ideas for how to arrange things in your own home.
- Mix up your habits: Sleep on the couch, eat sitting in a different chair. We all have corners of our home we never use. Try them out.