- Headboard Room Divider: In a one-room Chelsea studio, a built-in bookcase/headboard separates the bedroom and creates an entryway.
- DIY Loft Room Divider and Wardrobe: A Los Angeles loft owner used IKEA's PAX wardrobes to create a wall of storage separating the bedroom from the living area: closets on one side, entertainment center on the other.
- Bookcase Room Divider: Bookcases that are finished on both sides are easy to convert into room dividers. In the photo above, Vitra's modular Self Shelves separate an entryway while keeping the room light and airy.
- Chinese Wedding Bed Screen: At the Aman Hotel in Beijing, a traditional Chinese screen separates the bed from the rest of the room and creates a space to hang privacy curtains. Known as "wedding beds," these types of rooms within rooms have been common in China for centuries.
- Media Center and Storage Pod: Winners of Apartment Therapy's 2008 Small Cool contest, Broolynites Tony and Hilary used a very smart pod storage system to divide their living space. One wall holds a media center, another bookshelves, and inside the pod is their home office and closet.
Photos: Sabra Krock, Alex, Vitra, Aman Hotel Beijing, Tony and Hilary / Small Cool 2008