This past month we've featured roundups of our dream kitchens and bathrooms, and in the same spirit of big dreams and endless possibilities, I'd like to share my dream vacation home to kick off the season of road trips and beach bonfires, berry picking and porch swinging. Welcome to my ideal summer home.
Interior (clockwise from top):
1.This is what grocery shopping looks like at my dream vacation home. A single linen shopping tote filled with baby wipes and cat food? Nope. A sensible array of vegetables and lean proteins for well-balanced meals? Nope. It's filled with a baguette, flowers, and whatever deliciousness is in that bottle.
2. One of the things I crave most in my often hectic day-to-day life is time to read. My dream vacation home would include a study or library, because in this scenario I would have time to stretch out and read, and read, and read.
3. Of course my ideal summer home would have a killer playroom for my two kids. It would be their own special place, because dream vacation homes are equal opportunity dreamy in my book.
4. I don't need cutting edge showers or spa-like amenities, just let me sink into a clawfoot bathtub near a sunny window and I'm a happy girl.
5. My vacation home bedroom would be bright, breezy, and tranquil. That is all.
6. In my daily life, a sleek, modern, efficient kitchen has always been my ideal, but when day dreaming of my vacation home, my thoughts instantly went to a vintage, farmhouse style kitchen, complete with a big sturdy table to relax and talk over mason jars filled with sweet tea. It then struck me that my inspiration was my grandmother's country-style kitchen from her home in Texas; the home we visited every summer when I was a child.
My dream vacation home has a wrap around porch. I will refrain from sharing my bad poetry with all of you, but I could probably write an ode to wrap around porches, I love them that much.
Along with my endlessly wrapping porch, my dream scenario features the following.
7. Living in the city, I am lucky to have a back deck with a sweet little container garden. It's great, but not the garden of my dreams. My dream vacation home features a large organic vegetable garden where I can spend my mornings tending to an array of baby lettuces while sipping hot mugs of french press coffee. Ok, and I'll be wearing a sun hat. And maybe gingham gardening gloves. I'll stop there.
8. There will be world enough and time to simply sit and swing on a porch swing, feeling the sun on my face and listening to the quiet rhythm of nature.
9. Meals will be eaten alfresco, under the warm glow of hanging lanterns and fireflies. Apparently the meals will consist only of a baguette, but that will be just fine, because there will be no mosquitoes at my dream vacation home...
Aaaand, we're back. Well, that was my dream vacation home. I'd love to hear about yours!
(Images: Home Exterior, Whitten Architects via Houzz; 1. Dreamy Whites, 2. Vitsoe, 3. Puertabella, 4. Design Your Interiors, 5. Apartment Therapy, 6. Homedit, 7. Martha Stewart, 8. Accent on Design, 9. Ghar Expert)