Ashley and her husband prepared this charming room for either a boy or a girl and then added a few touches after the baby (she!) arrived. Ashley shares: When we put in our offer on our new house we didn't know that I was pregnant, but when I found out I was expecting a few weeks later we were over the moon. I had a blank slate (the house was gutted to the studs), which was a blessing and curse!
We agreed not to find out the gender of the baby until he/she was born, which made settling on a color palette and design a little overwhelming at first. We started by selecting a pale yellow-green for the walls, then I saw the vibrant rug from Ikea in another post on Ohdeedoh and immediately went out to buy one (which ended up to be two).
I thrifted the dresser from Craigslist and my husband and I painstakingly refinished it over a period of a few months (I wore a mask to protect myself from the paint fumes). Getting a really dark navy in a high gloss finish proved to be difficult; we ended up having a custom color mixed. We had planned to paint the bed as well, using "Will's Red Bed" as inspiration, but without knowing the gender it was too hard to choose a color, so we opted to spruce up the existing stain instead.
The winged glider/recliner was a big splurge but it was SO worth it! A lactation consultant recommended that I nurse my daughter lying down so she wouldn't get too much milk too fast, and it's really hard to sit up from a flat position when you have a semi-conscious infant on your chest. Having the recliner/glider combination has been a life saver; it makes it really easy to sit up after she's done eating so I can slip her into her crib without waking her up!
When our little munchkin came in July she was a girl, so we switched around a few of the paper lanterns and added the quilt to the twin bed to "feminize" it a little bit. Eliot's room has become my favorite room in the house, which is lucky since I spend quite a bit of time in it.
Many rooms on Ohdeedoh inspired us! Some rooms we love: Pom Pom Fever, My Room: Ruby Mae, Atti's Mini Modern Sleep Nook.
• Paint - Benjamin Moore Pale Vista
• Crib - Babyletto Modo from Amazon
• Crib bedding - Serena and Lily
• Winged glider/recliner - Jennifer Delonge
• Rugs - Ikea
• Curtain Fabric - Robert Allen indoor/outdoor (purchased at JoAnn Fabrics, sewn by a person I found on Craigslist)
• White bookshelf - Ikea
• Dresser/changing table - Vintage
• Twin bed - Vintage
• Twin bedding - Anthropologie (~10 years ago)
• Owl lamp and lumbar pillow - ABC Carpet and Home (NYC)
• Paper Mache giraffe head - Anthropologie
• Paper lanterns - PaperLanternStore.com
• Crying is for Babies print - Sycamore Street Press on Etsy
• Canvas toy bin - 3 Sprouts
• Oil paintings - Family pieces (the woman is my grandmother, painted on her 16th birthday)
(Images: Reader Ashley)
Have you seen our Nursery & Kids Room Submission Form? In addition to working with some readers to feature full tours, we share the best as "My Room" posts on Ohdeedoh -- short, quick tours of great rooms. Submit yours right here.