Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- San Francisco, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I'm in the center of San Francisco, but on a side street which is very quiet which I love. I operate an art and interior design collective in SF so I worked with local artists and crafts-people to create an environment which I feel reflects the spirit and creativity of the people around me. The place has lots of history too. It was originally built in the 1920's as a dance studio for the owner of the main house and has a speakeasy in the basement…you can only imagine what went on down there! Because it is a separate unit I can entertain and make lots of noise without disturbing the neighbors. Also, it has a fireplace which helps in the winter, as the place has virtually no insulation.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- The biggest challenge was not where to store things, but how to let go of things. I'm a minimalist at heart and am easily overwhelmed by clutter, so I have just taken the approach that if I have not used something in 6 months, I give it away. It's a real practice and I believe it has made me a more conscious person in regards to accumulation of all kinds. Also, I now run an art and design collective from my home and have consolidated all my business onto one laptop and a desk that I built. I have no space for paper and files so everything is now digital. That was a BIG challenge.
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- A Hans Wegner Lounge Chair that I've had my eyes on.
See all entries
More posts in this series
Small Cool 2013