Our Surrealist take on witches' claws, these Venus flytrap nails are every bit as dangerous, but thanks to sparkle polish and rhinestones, are 10 times prettier. These designs were dreamed up by extraordinary nail artist Mei Kawajiri (don't miss her Instagram for even more OTT styles), but don't worry nail art novices, our video tutorial and step-by-step instructions put this look totally within your grasp.
What You'll Need:
- Red and green nail polish
- Fine-tipped paintbrush
- Orange wood stick
- Nail polish top coat
- Nail rhinestones, such as Swarovski or Preciosa (awesome, but optional)
- Nail glue, we recommend 5 Second Brush-On Nail Glue, $3, from Walgreens
1. Brush on a base coat of red polish. Let dry 5 minutes before moving on to the next step (patience will pay off here).
2. Apply a thin line of green polish on the right and left sides of each nail, connecting the two lines at the top. Using a very thin brush, paint on the flytrap's "teeth". Let dry.
3. Bring on the bling: Apply sparkle polish on top of the green polish. Brush a small amount of top coat onto the end of an orange wood stick and use it to pick up a rhinestone. Apply glue to the flat side of the gem, then press it onto the nail. Continue adding gems. Let dry, then finish with top coat to secure the rhinestones in place.
These designs were dreamed up by nail expert Mei Kawajiri. Interested in Harry Potter, Stranger Things, or a Justin Bieber mani? Then don't miss her awesome Instagram account.
And many thanks to Spoonflower for the blue sky backdrop, which is available as wallpaper, gift wrap & fabric from Koalalady's shop.