Name: Dustin & Whitney
Neighborhood: The Gaslamp Quarter, Downtown
City: San Diego, California
Our Home: 1200 sf 4th floor loft in an old warehouse building with a 38-foot wall of floor to ceiling windows!
The Historic Gaslamp Quarter is a perfect place to stay when visiting San Diego. Only a 10 minute cab ride from the airport, it's packed with shopping, tons of restaurants, a vibrant nightlife and perfect weather every day!Dustin & Whitney's Guide to the Gaslamp Quarter
The Gaslamp is also home to Petco Park, where the Padres play. We can hear the screaming fans from our loft! Catch a game if you're in town.
With so much to do within walking distance, you might be tempted to never leave the Gaslamp. However, don't miss out on the great attractions nearby including Coronado Island, San Diego Zoo at Balboa Park, Mission Bay Park, Old Town and much more!
We've only lived here for several months, but we've totally fallen in love with this city. The people are all so nice, and it's most dog-friendly place I've ever been!
1. Favorite Neighborhood Home Store
- WORLD MARKET: 372 Fourth Avenue
Great for interesting eats and inexpensive home goods.
2. Go-to Shop for Gifts
- THE SAN DIEGO TRADING CO.: Seven separate stores
They can be found in multiple locations downtown for tourist type gifts.
3. Best Vintage Shop, Thrift Store, or Flea Market
- Still looking for this gem!
4. Favorite Bookstore
- BORDERS: 668 6th Avenue
5. Favorite Coffee Shop, Café, or Restaurant
- J. WOK: 744 Market Street
Best yellow curry ever! Also BASIC Urban Kitchen + Bar - best pizza! Mashed potato & bacon pizza is a must.
6. Best Hardware/Paint Store
- ACE HARDWARE: 675 Sixth Avenue
Between G & Market
7. Best Place to Pick Up Groceries
- RALPH'S: 101 G Street
Ralph's for groceries. I prefer Little Italy's Farmers Market, Saturdays 9-1. It's 1.5 miles from Gaslamp. I walk it, but you can trolley or drive.
8. Best Place to Buy Flowers
- 3RD AVENUE FARMERS MARKET: 400 block of Third Ave between Island & J
The Farmers Market on Sundays 9:00-1:00 or Allen's Flowers during the week.
9. Best Neighborhood Park
- EMBARCADERO MARINA PARK: By the San Diego Bay
Reading a book, walking the dog or just enjoying the weather. Also, Petco Park is nice. Watch the away games on a big screen in the park.
10. Best Spot to Take Visitors
- PETCO PARK: 100 Park Boulevard
Petco Park for a Padres Game or Seaport Village by the San Diego Bay for more restaurants and lovely bay views.
Thanks, Dustin & Whitney!
Photos: Dustin & Whitney Beasley