Nancy Neil & Ethan Brostedt Location: Carpinteria, California Size: 1600 Square Feet - 2 bed, 2 bath Years lived in: 4 years Nancy and Ethan's 1903 cabin features a wrap around porch and is situated on 80 acres. They rent the home from a friend whose family has owned the property since 1846. Because the home is so special and the grounds are magical, they don't have any plans on moving anytime soon. They plan on renting indefinitely until they can build their own home from reclaimed materials.
woven baskets filled with Ohle's toys in each room of the house...best investment ever! What Friends Say: Oh well, this is easy. "This is my dream home, feels like home...etc. etc." Biggest Embarrassment: None. Proudest DIY: The best thing we did to this house was to bring a lot of light in by painting certain areas and ceilings bright white. The wood is super cozy, but can be very dark. We love that the floors are plywood! We never have to worry about scratching them, spills, or all the dirt our Australian Shepard drags in. Biggest Indulgence: We splurge on cookware. I love to cook and Ethan loves to eat! Le Crueset and I have a certain understanding which no other cookware compares. I also can't say enough how amazing our Wedgewood Stove is...really. Best Advice: We arranged our home with the help of our friend and expert...according to Feng Shui. Sounds silly...but really improved the feeling of the space tremendously. Dream Source: When we do have to find a specific article or item...we love going to thrift stores, rummage sales and junk shops...this is where you find well-loved items with years of character.
- The dining room table: Inherited
- Wire chairs on the porch: Inherited
- Redwood Bathroom sinks and counters: Hand crafted and installed
- Basket Table in living room: Botanik
- We had our bed custom made from a design I created by a local green carpenter in Carpinteria: Greener Cabinetry
- Ohle's Danish Modern bed was a gift from a client
- Old round wooden light by the dining room table: Botanik
- The spaghetti light in the living room and the green lamp in the bedroom: Whimsy Antiques (one of my fave stores in Carpinteria)
- Bedroom rug: Mediterranee Antiques (Summerland)
- Rug in Ohle's room: Rummage
- Jute Rugs: Botanik
- Cow Hide: Gift
- Over the bed, & green square in the living room: Nancy Neil
- Yellow wood block print: Zacarias Paul
- Woven piece: Calico Brown local artist
- All wooden scrap Art over the Toilet: Ethan (my hubby)
- Owl: Found thrift store
- Stone art piece: Julia Brown local artist
- Giraffe Plate: Rebekah Miles
Nancy Neil • HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here • Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form. • Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.