Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- Carlsbad, CA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- It's a happy fresh start for my husband, son and I. This cozy beach house is a place the three of us are creating together. Although it's small in size, there is plenty of room to make large memories with our families and friends. It's a home from the 1930's, so it's full of character and charm. Being close to the ocean more than makes up for the lack of square footage. We're learning less can actually be more!
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space:
- 1. Buy and/or decorate items for your specific space. When we moved into this tiny house we sold 90% of our things. This allowed us to start over and purchase practical furniture for a tiny house. Dual usage furniture is a must! For example, we love our mango coffee table that opens to double as a computer desk or eating table while having storage inside.
2. Be fun and functional. At first I bought everything that was just practical. But this didn't make me happy. Practical can be boring, so be sure to add character that makes it your home! Example: I replaced a task light above the kitchen sink with the marquee EAT sign that gives off just as much light. I smile every time I turn it on! I just love it.
3. Kill the clutter. This is the best advice I can give and by far the hardest to stick to. Too much clutter looks messy and dirty. I don't think this means to keep your home sterile and empty. Just remember to continually edit, especially when you buy something new.
See all entries