Among this week's new and notable: Philippe Starck lends his hand with a digital thermostat executed in his signature style, the Geneva Sound goes big with their new XXL home entertainment speaker system, Bluelounge aims to keep desks clutter-free and mobile devices powered up with an update to their Sanctuary charging station, while Roolen's Breath ultrasonic humidifier brings dry air relief for the colder months with one button operation.
- What's New: The team over at Bluelounge recognized many households, whether a family or just an individual, now harbor more than one mobile device, so they went back and reengineered the Sanctuary with a 4-amp charger to efficiently provide power for up to 4 devices at once. The new design also accommodates for full-size and smaller tablets with an angle-adjustable stand, so users can continue using and viewing their tablet while charging. Available in black and white.
- What's New: One look at at the e-ink display's font, the neon colors, and the play between transparent and opaque materials, and it's obvious this digital thermostat bears the fingerprints of designer, Phillippe Starck. Designed to automatically sync with an iOS or Android Netatmo app, users can adjust interior temps with a swipe and tap. But even more impressive, the system self regulates temperature after monitoring daily activities, adjusting to home owner's sleeping patterns, and turning off or down when occupants are away to optimize energy efficiency.
- What's New: Recognize these monochrome icons? San Francisco-based designer has a special place in history as the designer as the very first digital designer for Apple. Hew new book Susan Kare ICONS book is in itself a great gift idea for the pixel pusher in your life; throw in the free accompanying bandana decorated with a pixel-based iconographic pattern, and you'll want a copy for yourself to get one too.
- What's New: On the surface the Breath appears to be a beautiful audio speaker, a minimalist tower with a single color coded light up front. But instead of beats, the ultrasonic humidifier intelligently exhales an adjustable silken cloud of mist to help combat dry nasal passages and eyes, with a capacious 3.15L water tank capacity good for up to 24 hours of use. In my time testing a review unit, the Breath is barely audible, working silently during bedtime (rated up to 400sq.ft) and automatically turning itself on or off in relation to interior humidity levels, keeping seasonal allergies at bay and the bedroom more comfortable during slumber.
Geneva Sound System Model XXL
- What's New: If you think "bigger is better", why not just skip "large" or even "extra large", and go XXL! The newly announced Geneva Sound System Model XXL is speaker and furniture combined, a multi-speaker home theater audio system contained hidden inside the clean lines of a furniture-grade wood cabinet finished in a choice of white, black, or red piano-lacquer. Park a HDTV on top or above the sleek Model XXL (capable of holding up to a 65" display) and you've got a capable home audio solution equipped with Apple Airplay and Bluetooth for wireless music streaming, a built-in FM, DAB/DAB+, and DMB radio receiver with RDS, while storage inside allows XXL owners to maintain the clutter-free design with cabinet space for media, cable, or gaming console.