A Consumer News report from last year's Kitchen & Bath Industry show in Chicago paints a picture where stainless steel is on the way out. One design-build contractor is quoted: "Ten years from now I think we're going to look back at stainless steel and say 'wow,' that's really a 1990's or 2000's kitchen."
The opinions of experts, of course, should mean nothing about how much a homeowner enjoys their space. Stainless kitchens are beautiful, and will continue to be beautiful for years to come. But anyone looking ahead to a future renovation might want to pause for just a beat, especially if your goal is insuring a home's future value.
The big players in kitchen builds and renovations are getting behind white. Last year, Whirlpool introduced the White Ice collection of pale appliances with modern stylings. More recently, Miele unveiled the Brilliant White Plus line. White can also be had for far less than those luxury price points. In fact, in older homes or rentals, one might find white appliances that skipped a few trend cycles from the 1990's and are ready to hop right back into vogue.
Whether you're shopping for new white kitchen appliances, or trying to make old ones look new again, here are some very "now" inspiration for making white work.
- White kitchen by Studio M Interiors
- Whirlpool's White Ice kitchen
- Miele's Brilliant White Plus
- Inside The Lucerne on Manhattan's Upper East Side, via NY Apartment Blog.
- Canadian Cottage kitchen, via Houzz
- Colorful mid century modern kitchen from Kropat Interior Design
- The Brick House's kitchen in Hemet, California
- A cottage in Deephaven, Minnesota, from Erotas Building Corp.
- Kitchen remodel from Bullis Photography, via Houzz
- Kitchen remodel by CASE Design, via Houzz
(Images: As linked above)