If you like your furniture all clean lines and restrained geometry, you probably wouldn't give these tables a second look. But there is something to be said for a bit of contrast. Of course, it's always lovely to invest in a real antique, something with ornate flourishes that contrasts directly with a more streamlined room. Also fun is to go with a table (or chair) that is a new take on old concepts. These tables all have very old-fashioned silhouettes, reminiscent of the William and Mary style, with a dash or Rococo and Victorian. But the bulbous turned legs with their playful curves are decidedly modern. They remind me of Dr Seuss or something out of Alice in Wonderland. A new twist — literally — on an old style.
Images: Clockwise from top left:
• Silhouette dining table from Z Gallerie, $449.
• Isala console from IKEA, $199.
• Philipe desk from Jayson Home & Garden, $1,195.
• Silhouette cafe table from Brocade, $399.
• Context Furniture William & Mary end table from Design Public, $636.
• Owen dining table by Oly.
• Alice table from House Eclectic, $1,050. (Many other colors available).
(Images: as linked above)