House Beautiful Style Director Newell Turner has been building his dream home over the past year, while the magazine follows the process. We featured his eclectic living/dining room on AT back in October, as a Recipe for Style. Now that he's almost finished, he has a few lessons learned...
Excerpts from Newell Turner's words of wisdom:
- Plan Ahead: "Good decorating starts with a good floor plan."
- Build Up, Not Out: "Ceiling height is as important as the square footage of a room."
- Capitalize on Closets: Turner says that closet systems are key to maximizing your home's available space. "Otherwise, you have a rod, shelf, and wasted space up top."
- The Power of Paint: "Painting door panels 50% lighter than the full door gives them greater definition."
- Last but not least, a sentiment close to our own hearts: "Well-designed small houses can be more livable and enjoyable than McMansions."
For all 31 tips from House Beautiful, click here.
Photos: House Beautiful