Name: Nick & Evelyn
Location: Fortuna, California
Size: 1,314 square feet
Years lived in: 2½ — owned
Evelyn found her first home shortly before Nick proposed to her. Fast forward two years and the married couple have two girls under two, keeping them busier than they’d ever imagined they would be. In the midst of diapers, tea parties and lots of pink, they’ve managed to build a home they both love and feel comfortable in.
Their passion for family is evident. Lots of family photos are displayed — many of their two favorite little girls. Evelyn’s travels throughout Europe and her love of rich, warm colors are also reflected in her design. She’s also quite crafty and has created many of the unique art pieces herself.
The place was pretty much move-in ready when Evelyn bought it, but the couple wanted to make it more their own. They did this the old fashioned way, by saving to decorate and paint as they could afford to. There are still some projects on the horizon, but they’ve managed to create a wonderful refuge for themselves without breaking the bank.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
Our Style: Champagne taste…beer budget.
Inspiration: Italy. We want all of our furniture dark, rustic tones, decorated with reds, browns, and oranges. I love tastefully applied peeling wallpaper and exposed brick. Room by room, I'll be working in that direction.
Favorite Element: Warm tones.
Biggest Challenge: Money shortage! Lack of storage space.
What Friends Say: They love the paint colors and warm atmosphere.
Biggest Embarrassment: Unfinished projects!
Proudest DIY: I replaced the toilet lids all by myself. I don't know why I was so intimidated. It was such an easy fix!
Biggest Indulgence: Dining room table. It was way over our budget, but I just had to have it.
Best Advice: Buy used! Not only can you find great deals and unique furniture, you don't sweat something getting ruined because it didn't cost much. We LOVE our couches, but baby spit-up doesn't stress us out because we found them at a yard sale for $150. If they get ruined, we'd just be excited about finding the next hidden treasure out there.
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
- • Living Room: Ralph Lauren, Tea & Sweets
• Nursery: Ace Royal, It's a Girl/Hermosa
• Hallway, All Trim & Doors: Ace Royal, Horchata
• Master Bedroom: Ace Royal, Maple Leaf
• Main Bathroom: Ace Royal, Palmetto
• Spare Bedroom: Ace Royal, Cocoa Bean/Horchata & Paper Bag (on bookshelf)
- • Couch & Love Seat: Yard Sale
• Rocking Chair & Ottoman: Yard Sale
• White Television Stand: Thrift Store (Evelyn sanded and repainted)
• Shelf: Target
• Framed Art: Target
• Mask: Venice, Italy
- • Table & Chairs: Local Furniture Store
• Set of four framed art: Burlington Coat Factory
• Large Clock: Ross
- • Bed Frame/Bedding: Yard Sale
• Computer Desk: Yard Sale
• Bamboo Roll Up Shade: Urban Outfitters
• Foot Stool: Ross
- • Pedestal Sink, Mirror & Lighting: Home Depot
• Shower Curtain & Hooks: Bed, Bath & Beyond
- • Crib & Dresser: Consignment Store
• Bedding: Target
• Leaf Mural Design: Painter, Michele Kennard
- • Bed Frame & Bedding: Yard Sale
• Black Dresser with Hutch: Yard Sale
• Dresser: Yard Sale
• Lamp: Burlington Coat Factory
- • Orange Flower Wall Art: Ross
• Shower Curtain: Bed, Bath & Beyond
• Vanity, Mirror & Lighting: Home Depot
Thanks, Nick & Evelyn!
Images: Kate Stockman
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.