Name: Nicole Radford Oehler
Location: Edgewater — Chicago, Illinois
Size: 825 square feet
Years lived in: 1 — rented
Shooting Nicole's apartment offered some charming challenges: Moments before my arrival, her pup, Dolce, pulled down the bathroom's shower curtain, and an outdoor chandelier came crashing down (unrelated). The kitchen is sweet and very tight, complete with only a single drawer wide enough to store sandwich bags (there are cabinets, but only one tiny drawer!). Nicole's enthusiasm for and ability to meet those challenges with laughter, style and ingenuity are what make this designer an original in both her own home and in others'.
As for Nicole's single kitchen drawer conundrum, this is the kind of problem that would cause many a cook to scream and run. Nicole loves cooking for friends yet didn't let a little thing like storage deter her from this otherwise perfectly suitable apartment. She uses Ikea Asker containers for utensil storage, an overhead hanging pot rack, open closet space in the second bedroom (a room which has been designated the "closet room") which acts as a partial pantry, and other kitchen items live in the living room chest/buffet. Considering most dinners happen in the living room anyway, with the table pulled away from the window and into the center of the eclectic room, this makes perfect sense.
Nicole loves to move things around and change things up on a regular basis, and that keeps this traditional-meets-edgy apartment a fun place to live and visit.
Apartment Therapy Survey:
My Style: Laid-Back Traditional engaged in a Modern love affair with North African love children & a touch of Rock & Roll
Inspiration: People. Music. Tradition. Art. Love.
Favorite Element: The closet room
Biggest Challenge: The kitchen has ONE drawer. It's less an 8"W.
What Friends Say: You made that?
Biggest Embarrassment: Dolce, my Wire Fox Terrier. Her antics make me blush on a daily basis.
Proudest DIY: Radford Design Inc.
Biggest Indulgence: Freshly pressed sheets
Best Advice: Know who you really are, work with what you have & be open to change
Dream Sources: Dutch, Moroccan & Parisian flea markets
Resources of Note:
PAINT & COLORS
• brand: Gray Owl
• brand: Tapestry Beige
• candelabra sconces & mirror: Flea market
• Customized door
• area rug: Target
• coat hook: Ikea
• stool: HomeGoods
LIVING ROOM / DINING
• Flea market chest and arm chair/side chairs
• inherited chest
• CB2 acrylic coffee table.
• Ikea dining table & end tables (stacked)
• Cowhide from KC flea market
• Bar was designed & made in my Dad's coatings plant. It has really worked in every apartment I have lived in, there is always the perfect spot for it. Adore.
• White linen drapery with grommets from Ikea
• Hallway- inherited mirrors
• KC flea market Stones art (favorite band)
• Fork/spoon decals from fire sale
• Vintage & flea market linens
• West Elm duvet
• Flea market bench & mirrors
• Lamps from HomeGoods
• Ikea chest & end table
Images: Heather Blaha
• HOUSE TOUR ARCHIVE Check out past house tours here
• Interested in sharing your home with Apartment Therapy? Contact the editors through our House Tour Submission Form.
• Are you a designer/architect/decorator interested in sharing a residential project with Apartment Therapy readers? Contact the editors through our Professional Submission Form.