- Boston, MA
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I love the old world charm of my Back Bay studio. The archways, custom cabinets, and vintage sink are such rare finds. Unfortunately, with that charm comes slanted floors, cracked plaster, visible pipes, and drafty windows. As I am only in Boston for a year, I've learned to live with the flaws and have avoided painting or structural repairs. Instead, I've focused on aspects of the apartment that I can take with me back to NYC, like furniture and decor. My limited budget, need for small-scale items, and appreciation for "old, good things" initiated my year of Craigslist DIY projects. Boston CL provided incredible finds. My DIYs this year included repairing, refinishing, and repurposing a mirrored console, a vintage bed frame, a 1920s singer sewing machine (into a new desk), and a late 1800s wash table with its original marble top (into a kitchen cart). Taking the time to bring new life to some very worn down furniture has given me a greater appreciation for my home and everything in it!
- Three of My Best Tips and Tricks for Creating a Successful Small Space::
- 1. Decide what is important to you functionally, and how you want to use your space. Then figure out what type of decor you want in your ideal home. Take time in the beginning to establish answers to these questions before investing in your space, as it will guide you to what kind of furniture you should purchase and how to arrange your apartment.
2. There is a wealth of information online. With patience, motivation, and resources like Pinterest, AT, and DIY blogs you can accomplish some pretty cool things. Take advantage of it to make your space unique!
3. My apartment is on the main floor facing the alley/parking lot in the back of the building. Putting up window film was crucial to maintain privacy without blocking sunlight. It was easy to apply and simple to remove should you need to take it down upon moving out. I highly recommend it should you want to let light in and keep neighbors out!