Like this entry? Favorite it below!
- New York, NY
- Square Feet:
- What I Love About My Small Home:
- I love that my studio has three closets! It's nice to finally have some space for my rather large collection of clothes, shoes, and handbags. It also has two large windows that bring in a lot of light, and has a pretty adorable breakfast nook. Other than the structural elements, I really enjoy the studio's bright and cheery feeling. Can you tell I am a fan of color? Also, who doesn't appreciate their own DIYs? The chevron fad might on its way out, but I love my DIY chevron rug.
- Biggest Challenge of Living in a Small Space
- My biggest challenge, as with most studios, was creating multiple functional spaces in one room. With tall ceilings and lots of light, the studio appears much larger than it actually is. I did not want to take away from that by adding curtains or room dividers. A common theme I've seen in other studios is to place the couch against a wall, placing it at either the head or the foot of the bed. I found that this layout makes it difficult to separate the bedroom from the living room without some type of room divider. To try and create a two separate spaces, I decided not to place my couch against a wall. Instead, I made it parallel to the length of my bed. Now anytime I am sitting on the couch, the bed is behind me. Just like that, it disappeared!
- If I am the Grand Prize winner of Small Cool, the item(s) or project(s) from my home design wishlist that I'd like to spend my winnings on are:
- Where do I begin?! I'm graduate student, so a majority of my apartment is comprised of used, re-purposed, or IKEA furniture. My couch and bistro table/chairs are the only pieces of furniture that I really treasure. My grandfather was a carpenter, so I have a great appreciation for the craftsmanship of hand-made wood furniture. My first project would be to replace my IKEA dresser and shelving unit with one or two vintage pieces, like a beautiful wood dresser. Then I would love to spend some time finding a few vintage side chairs that need a little updating. The list continues with updating my worn down IKEA furniture: a new console table, nightstand, maybe purchase a real end table?? Haha.
See all entries