Name: Ninka (4 months)
Location: Wroclaw, Poland
When we learned we were having a baby girl, I immediately started collecting ideas for her room. Scandinavian style with its black and white, geometric patterns and touches of nature was my primary inspiration. I also adore the Dutch aesthetic full of brightness and pops of color.
I wanted to create a simple, relaxing and stylish space that would grow with our little one. Sticking to ‘less is more’ rule helped to avoid the feeling of being overwhelmed by too much stuff. At the same time I wanted to add some visually stimulating decorating pieces.
Grey walls were the starting point and it was a challenge to add more brightness and color to the space. We decided to purchase functional and mostly white furniture pieces for storage, changing and nursing. Such small details like the knobs and knitted knob covers gave popular IKEA dressers a new fresh look. With the colorful hand made decorations, the room transformed into a unique, enjoyable space.
It was so much fun to look for all the decoration items! I found most of them at Polish on-line shops with hand made crafts. Some of them were custom made as I wanted to make sure each item is special and fits other pieces well. Ultimately the grey served as an ideal background for the white pieces of furniture and eye-catching decorations.
My favorite thing in the room is the wall with polka dots pattern and Ninka letters, and the baby mobile with colorful birds sitting on benches. I designed it for my daughter as well as for myself because I spend lots of time in there and love it. It’s a pleasure to see that Ninka enjoys the space too, especially the mobile hanging above the changing place.
- Dressers, white bookshelves, armchair, curtains: IKEA
- Crib: local manufacturer; our first daughter’s crib, painted white
- Moses basket: Woodform Manufacturing, second hand find from Allegro
- Green/mint bookshelf: Woodszczescia
- Toys storage basket: Rice
- Polka dots stickers: Ferm Living
- White Laurel Wall Tree: Umbra
- Pendant lamp: Normann Copenhagen
- Table lamp: Bo Concept
- Colorful lights: Cotton Ball Lights
- Rug, baby mobile, garland, cloud, pillow, Ninka letters, black and white cat: Decobazaar, Pakamera
- Knobs: Knauf Manufaktur
- Knitted knob covers: Etsy
- Striped blanket: Mamas & Papas