We should all feel safe and sound in our homes. While many of us would love the idea of a 24-7 monitored security service, cost is often a barrier to getting a system installed. And on top of equipment and installation fees, who wants to pay yet another monthly fee? We highlight several simple techniques and tips to beef up your home security without spending an arm and a leg.
Lighting is Key
It's no coincidence that dark, dimly lit spaces are downright scary and whisper menacingly of crimes committed in shadowy spaces. Brighten up your home's exterior with some lighting to help deter crime. Whether it's cosmetic lighting to beautify your home or motion sensor security lights, give that potential criminal a second thought about coming into your home lest they be seen.
MORE LIGHTING ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
Upgrade Your Locks
• DWP Outdoor Lighting: Light up darkened pathways and entries
• Do You Leave Your Porch Light On?
• The Do's and Dont's Of Porch Lights
• The Solar Powered Security Light
• Our Affordable Stairway Security Lighting Solution
Many older homes have locks that are dead simple to pick or just jimmy open. Sometimes the surrounding trim around the door is rotted and easily crumbles, or the chain bolt will simply pull out of the wall. Spend a little money on a new lock and feel safe and secure that the bad guys can't get in without a key (or fingerprint, or pass code, etc.).
MORE LOCKS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
Install Security Cameras
• The Un-bumpable and Self Re-Keying Deadbolt from KwikSet
• Kwikset Keyless Fingerprint Scan Door Lock
Networked cameras are readily available. Whether they are designed specifically for security camera purposes or a simple internet operated webcam, they're cheap and easy enough for your average homeowner to incorporate into their home security plan. Bear in mind that unless these cameras are being monitored (by yourself or a security company), no one's going to be able to do anything about that bad guy breaking in, except that he/she will hopefully think twice knowing that their hijinks are being caught on tape.
MORE SECURITY CAMERAS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
Get A Security System Kit
• DIY Security Cams Offer Peace of Mind While You Vacation
• Logitech Alert 750i Master System
• Improve Safety With Low Light Wireless Security Cameras
If you don't want to piecemeal your security system together, you can buy kits that come with several different components, whether it's motion or entry sensors or keypads and remotes. Prices usually start in the low hundreds, but keep in mind that if you want monitoring you'll have to find a system that offers the service.
MORE SECURITY SYSTEMS ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
When All Else Fails, Fake It
• SimpliSafe Home Security System
• SimpliSafe: DIY Apartment Protection Without The Wires
If it's just the threat of being caught that keeps the criminals at bay, what's the difference between a real $100 camera or a fake $10 one? That's the idea behind fake security systems (some of them even blink like a real camera). Surprise, you're on camera, or not, but you might be, so you better not rob this house.
MORE FAKE SECURITY CAMERAS ON APARTMENT THERAPY
• A False Sense of Security: Fake Security Cameras
EVEN MORE HOME SECURITY ON APARTMENT THERAPY:
• Automation & Security on Apartment Therapy
• What Type of Home Security Do You Have In Your Home?
• Neighbors Burglarized: Hi-Tech, Low Cost Deterrents
• A Security Failing: How Safe Do You Feel In Your Home?
(Images: Shutterstock; As linked above)