Don't feel like braving the heat today for the parades and fireworks? Stay cool and flip through some patriotic summery scenes we've collected from decades past.
1. Lady Liberty prepares for an event in Wantagh, NY, circa 50s/60s
2. Fireworks and sparklers crackle on the front lawn, 1954.
3. 1954 revelers enjoy sparklers on the beach.
4. Huntington Beach, California celebrates with a grand parade in 1935.
5. A 1961 Costa Mesa float rides through Huntington Beach.
6. Newly admitted states Hawaii and Alaska are represented in this 1959 July 4th celebration.
7. Kids play with sparklers on the front porch.
8. What's the 4th without a good fireworks stand (and a fire truck rushing by in the background)?
9. A patriotic parade goes down a street in NY, 1911.
10. A small 4th of July celebration takes place on St. Helena Island in 1939.
(Images: 1. Leonard McCombe, via Aqua Velvet, 2. John Dominis, via Aqua Velvet, 3. John Dominis, via Aqua Velvet, 4. Huntington Beach Parade, 5. Huntington Beach Parade, 6. KCET, 7. Art of Manliness, 8. Art of Manliness, 9. Library of Congress, 10. Library of Congress.)