If the recession has you cutting back on your charitable giving this year, then fulfill your giving quota by donating blood. What's more green than giving the gift of life - it's something you can't buy in a store! Here are a few reasons to donate blood that helped me get over my fear of needles.
Everyone's a bit squeamish around needles - though some more than others. But here's 10 reasons to help you get over that fear, from GiveLife1.org
- You will get free juice and cookies [at our donation center, you also get pizza, and bbq!]
- You will weigh less — one pint less when you leave than when you came in. [You also burn a ton of calories replenishing your supply]
- It's easy and convenient — it only takes about an hour and you can make the donation at a donor center, or at one of the many Red Cross mobile blood drives.
- It's something you can spare — most people have blood to spare... yet, there is still not enough to go around.
- Nobody can ask you to do any heavy lifting as long as you have the bandage on. You can wear it for as long as you like. It's your badge of honor.
- You will walk a little taller afterward — you will feel good about yourself.
- You will be helping to ensure that blood is there when you or someone close to you may need it. Most people don't think they'll ever need blood, but many do.
- It's something you can do on equal footing with the rich and famous — blood is something money can't buy. Only something one person can give to another.
- You will be someone's hero — you may give a newborn, a child, a mother or a father, a brother, or a sister another chance at life. In fact, you may help save up to three lives with just one donation.
- It's the right thing to do.
And a few useful links for making your donation successful: