Art & Design Events...
• AT's Small Cool Contestis winding down. Check in this week for the winners!
• AT Small Cool Party and Book Signing at Chicago's Room & Board May 15th, 6-8pm
Second Annual Meet Contemporary Czech Design
• Exhibit of Czech designers of porcelain, glasswork, and accessories
• May 15th at 6:30 pm, free and open to the public. (exhibit on view through July)
• Czech Center New York, 1109 Madison Avenue @ 83rd Street
The Revolution is Set - Bring it to the Table
• Spring invited designers, artists, art directors and thinkers, of the slow design revolution to bring something to the table to provoke thought/discussion/action.
• May 18th, 11am - 2pm, a slow sunday opening! (exhibit runs through June)
• Spring Design&Art, 126a Front St., (@ Pearl St in DUMBO), 718.222.1054
What's Wrong with American Furniture Design
• An ICFF Panel on the obstacles and opportunities facing our homegrown talent
• May 18th, 3-5pm
• DWR SoHo, 110 Greene St.
International Contemporary Furniture Fair
• 642 furniture exhibitors from 38 countries showcasing for 3 days
• May 17th through 20th
• Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, 34th Street and 11th Avenue.
Hardcore-New Finnish Design
• Opening Reception for Finnish Design at the Meatpacking District Design 2008
• May 17th, 6-9pm, finnish food, exotic cocktails, music
• Hardcore Cafe, 413-415 West 14th St. (bet. 9th and 10th), 212.750.4400
"Local River" by Mathieu Lehanneur
• Local River anticipates the growing influence the 'locavore' movement by proposing a home storage unit for live freshwater fish combined with a mini vegetable patch.
• Through June 21st
• Artists Space, 38 Greene Street, 3rd Floor, 212. 226.3970
• May 17th, 7-10pm (on view through May 20th)
• Kiosk, 95 Spring Street, 2nd fl
Candita Clayton in the Studio.
• Candita Clayton, will sign copies of her new book, "Clean your Home Healthy," a room-by-room guide to using all-natural, nontoxic products as cleaning solutions
• May 14th, 7-9pm, Refreshments will be served.
• DWR Tribeca, 124 Hudson St, 212.219.2217
UNFRAMED: ACRIA's Art Sale Benefit
• ACRIA is raising money for AIDS research, treatment and education
• May 20th, 5-8pm ($20 Admission at the Door)
• Charles Cowles Gallery, 537 West 24th St., (10th/11th Aves.) 212.924.3934 x101
Ligne Roset Celebrates 10 Years of Design in SoHo
• May 19th, 6-9pm
• 155 Wooster Street, 212.253.5629
The Ultimate Mission Impossible in Design: "Mr. Impossible" by Philippe Starck
• Kartell hosts a cocktail party previewing new products
• May 19th, 6:30pm (firstname.lastname@example.org)
• 39 Greene Street
• Over 200 vendors of vintage furniture, clothing and antiques alongside new designs by local makers of everything from jewelry to textiles.
• Every Sunday, 10am to 5pm (rain or shine)
• Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School on Lafayette Ave. between Clermont and Vanderbilt Ave., Fort Greene, Brooklyn
ABC Home Launches Earth Day Campaign
• ABC Home is partnering with 2004 Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Wangari Maathai's Green Belt Movement on its Carbon Poverty Reduction Program. For every piece of goodwood furniture purchased at ABC Home, a tree will be planted in Kenya to replenish rapidly diminishing biodiversity.
• 888 Broadway, 212.473.3000
What is Green Architecture?
• Noted architect Christoph Ingenhoven in conversation with Andres Lepik
• May 19th, 7pm
• The Goethe-Institut New York is located at 1014 Fifth Avenue (at 83rd Street), 212.439.8700