Art & Design Events...
Chris Burden: What My Dad Gave Me
• View a 65-foot-tall skyscraper made entirely of toy construction parts.
• Through July 19th
• Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue (49th and 50th Sts.)
Urbanist Summer Party
• Join Metropolis and the MAS Urbanists for their Annual Summer Party at the new Galapagos Art Space. Be among the first to see the yet-to-be-opened art space while enjoying music by Andrew & Andrew and a performance by the Gowanus Wildcats Drill Team.
• July 15th, 8-11pm.
• Galapagos Art Space, 16 Main Street, DUMBO, Brooklyn
"Under the Stars" Charitable Film and Dinner Experience!
• Three-course dinner, a Pearl cocktail, and screening of feature documentary, A
Man Named Pearl, benefitting the New York Restoration Project
• July 15th, 7:30pm, (tickets are $50)
• New Leaf Cafe, One Margaret Corbin Drive – Fort Tryon Park, 212.568.5323
The Fourth Annual First LOOK
• Over 20 showrooms will be participating in the only annual contract product market in NYC. Food and drink will be served in each showroom. Win great prizes including a MoMA membership or a new Vespa.
• July 16th, 5-9pm
• New York Design Center, 11th, 13th-15th floors, 200 Lexington Ave.
Tapestry in Architecture: Creating Human Spaces
• Highlighting eleven intricately woven, delicately patterned works designed to complement contemporary public interiors
• July 10th through August 14th
• Japan Society, 333 East 47th Street, 212.832.1155
Buckminster Fuller: Starting with the Universe
• R. Buckminster Fuller, whose theories and innovations traversed the worlds of architecture, visual art, literature, mathematics, molecular biology, and environmental science and have had a deep impact on all of those fields.
• Through September 21st
• Whitney Museum, 945 Madison Avenue
• Over 200 vendors of vintage furniture, clothing and antiques alongside new designs by local makers of everything from jewelry to textiles.
• Every Sunday, 10am to 5pm (rain or shine)
• Bishop Loughlin Memorial High School on Lafayette Ave. between Clermont and Vanderbilt Ave., Fort Greene, Brooklyn
ABC Home Launches Earth Day Campaign
• ABC Home is partnering with 2004 Nobel Peace Laureate Professor Wangari Maathai's Green Belt Movement on its Carbon Poverty Reduction Program. For every piece of goodwood furniture purchased at ABC Home, a tree will be planted in Kenya to replenish rapidly diminishing biodiversity.
• 888 Broadway, 212.473.3000