- Can Taste Be Taught? Joyce Wadler revises her living space after she receives a 10-day lesson in interiors from Bunny Williams, New York society decorator. We liked this advice: "Every piece in a room should be wonderful, but no one thing should stand out."
- Deconstruction: Recycling the Whole House. Alice Keller of Washington State avoids excessive construction waste (and most new materials) by using her former home to build the current one.
- In the Garden: In the Pumpkin Patch, an Orange Thumb. Competitive pumpkin-growing.
- An Airy Refuge From a Jam-Packed Store. The Brooklyn home of Ricky Kenig, co-owner of Ricky's beauty supply stores. Our favorite element is the giant magnetic wall in the stairwell.
- How expensive is it to have a button-tufted sofa re-covered? This article also gives some locations to find new button-covered upholstered pieces at various price points.
- Personal Shopper: Alarm Clocks.
(Pics: Ruth Fremson, Stuart Isett, Ryan T. Conaty, Albert Vecerka/Esto)