There's usually a large divide between the way that workplaces are designed and the way we want to live at home, but we've found several examples that break from that pattern. The offices shown above offer lots of ideas for making a workplace more homey or making a home more work-friendly...Using non-corporate furniture is key. You won't see any formica-topped conference tables or wall-to-wall file cabinets above. Instead, family-style dining tables and attractive wood shelving make these spaces feel more welcoming. Artwork is another important part of each office. Collections range from clustered paintings to maps plastered on the wall.
Ideas to implement at home include dining tables that can double as work surfaces, a good mix of overhead and task lighting to illuminate your work, and repurposing standard shelving (rather than file cabinets) to hold binders and work documents.
• Fashion Designers Shipley & Halmos' Office in New York
• Architectural Firm Studio Gang's Office in Chicago
• Design Agency Pride & Glory Interactive's Office in Kraków
• Audio/Visual Firm Studio AV's Office in Bozeman, Montana
• Gorgeous Production Company's Offices in London