An exquisite chair is one of the best ways to bring character and flair to a room. I must admit I am addicted to the blog Chair Whore, which is chock full of high-concept chairs, many of which are truly works of modern art. But there is another path to getting a chair extraordinaire: Antique and vintage chairs that have been reupholstered in funky, contemporary fabrics. These chairs are the best of both worlds, the epitome of eclecticism captured in a single piece of furniture. A confluence of old and new, traditional and modern, elegant and whimsical, these chairs lend a burst of energy to any decor.
• 1 Wonderful bold reinterpretations of classic furniture at Le Tramac. (England)
• 2 The Blue Leaf Channel chair from Mend Etc on Etsy, $500. Looks like something from Anthropologie for more than half the cost!
• 3 Reclaimed balloon back chair is painted with highly durable eco friendly paint and upholstered in off-cuts from a variety of high end designers. Greener Abode.
• 4 Jessica Guerra on Etsy, $800.
• 5 Vintage slipper chair. Jayson Home & Garden, $2,395.
• 6 A vintage mini egg shaped chair upholstered in a funky vintage fabric. 20 Age. Found via Chair Designing.
• 7 Anthropologie, $1,698.
• 8 Dirty little story wingchair. The Old Village Hall.
• 9 Grey Maggy on Etsy, $198.95.
• 10 Black Jacobean chair with Thomas Paul fabric seat. Grey Maggy on Etsy, $219.95.
• 11 Glory B Designs at Etsy, $349.95
• 12 LJ Industries at Etsy, $425.
• 13 A pair of French "Cabriolet" or Louis XV style, with a duo of velvets from Designers Guild (U.K.) and Maison Dorset (Paris). La Grange de Silvermine on Etsy, $1,775. Etsy.
• 14 A 70s armchair renovated with a grayish wash painted effect and new upholstery from Joel Dewberry's Ginseng home decor collection. Chair Chill on Etsy, $640.
• 15 1950s vintage side chair reupholstered in a blue medallion Ikat fabric. Atlas Home on Etsy, $295.