Do you rent? Are you waiting to make changes to your home until you feel you're in a more permanent situation? Today's tip from Fay is simple, but a good reminder for all of us that owning your "home" is about much more than a name on a mortgage.
Best Ways to Upgrade Your Rental:
1. Painting: Go for Low VOC or No VOC paints, and steer clear of the ones with primer built-in. A few trips to the paint store is usually best. You're allowed to take your time, but do follow through. First, get some paint chips. Then return to get all-important samples of your narrowed-down choices. Feel like a kid again by painting large sample areas on the wall. Don't skimp on quality of supplies: get the good tape, the good brushes, and the good paint! Remember: this is your HOME.
2. Art: Try http://society6.com/ for affordably framed pieces from artists all over the world.
3. Furniture: Browse the good ol' AT listings for swell pieces in your neighborhood: http://classifieds.
• The Star: Fay Wolf is a singer-songwriter, actor and professional organizer. She's acted on shows like 2 Broke Girls and Bones, and her songs have been heard on shows like Grey's Anatomy and Pretty Little Liars. Fay's Los Angeles-based company New Order has been organizing lives since 2006, helping creative people deal with both inner and outer clutter. She coaches in-person, by phone, and in group workshops. Learn more via FayWolf.com and follow her on Twitter @faywolf!
• More Videos: Go To Video Channel
• Submissions Welcome: Are you a Maker? Do you have great how-tos and tips to share? Do you have a winning personality or are you just a great character? Tell us here and we'll consider sending our video team to tape you for the site.
Links and Related Posts:
• Renting Done Right: 10 Inspiring International Rentals from Our House Tours
• Renting Done Right: 10 Charming Portland Tours
• Renting Done Right: 10 Inspiring NYC Rentals from our House Tours
• Renting Done Right: 10 Inspiring LA Rentals from Our Tours
All photos in video from Apartment Therapy renters - see posts above for more inspiration!