In today's video, Maxwell brings us a step-by-step holiday how-to for making Felt Ball Garlands. Bright, modern, and timeless, this is a great project for kids and adults alike, and can be used to decorate a tree, a doorway, or a table - for the holidays or year-round!
In today's video, Maxwell brings us a step-by-step holiday how-to for making Felt Ball Garlands. Bright, modern, and timeless, this is a great project for kids and adults alike, and can be used to decorate a tree, a doorway, or even a wall - for the holidays or year-round!
We added some quick pics so you could see the process (thanks for the comment Akay!). They're from the video, so not perfect, and we'll take stills next time.
Step One: pull off a small clump of wool roving and begin to push it into a ball
Step Two: Dip in soapy water and begin to roll between your hands
Step Three: Add a little dishsoap if necessary to help the wool "form" into a ball. It's the soap and water, reacting with the wool roving that makes it bind and hold its shape.
Step Four: Roll between your hands until you have a perfect little ball. Keep squeezing it out and rinsing to get rid of the soap. The ball will be damp when done and should then dry before moving on.
Step Five: Choose colorful thread and begin to sew your balls onto the thread. A typical garland will have at least 50 balls, but you can do less or more.
• The Star: Ten years ago, Maxwell Ryan was known as the "apartment therapist," traveling by scooter to his clients' homes to help them make their spaces beautiful, organized and healthy. Part interior designer, part life coach, his touchpoints were simplicity, comfort, and lack of clutter. Unlike typical designers, Maxwell didn't want to dictate where things should go or how people should live, he wanted to arm them with the tools and the confidence to decide for themselves. Maxwell launched Apartment Therapy in 2004, turning the weekly email into a daily blog post, reviewing stores, offering tips, posting photos of Maxwell's design projects and answering readers' questions. Maxwell has a B.A. from Oberlin College, an M.A. from Columbia University, and a M. Ed. from Antioch. He lives in New York's Greenwich Village with his daughter, Ursula.
• More Videos: Go To Video Channel
• Submissions Welcome: Are you a Maker? Do you have great how-tos and tips to share? Do you have a winning personality or are you just a great character? Tell us here and we'll consider sending our video team to tape you for the site.
Links and Related Posts:
• My Sparkle: Felt Ball Garland for Christmas
• Bhedawool Roving from Purl Soho
• Pre-Made Felt Ball Assortment from Amazon
• Holiday Cheer: Felted Pom Pom Garlands
(Image credits: Jonathan Coleman; Maxwell Ryan)