If you find yourself with an overstuffed closet, a floor full of clothes left behind you when you rush out the door in the morning, or in the habit of not being able to find clothes you once had, maybe it's time to make a plan for organizing your closet - and keeping it that way. In today's video, pro organizer Amelia Meena (Appleshine Lifestyle Organization) shows us how.
If you find yourself with an overstuffed closet, a floor full of clothes left behind you when you rush out the door in the morning, or in the habit of not being able to find clothes you once had, maybe it's time to make a plan for organizing your closet - and keeping it that way. In today's video, Amelia Meena (Appleshine Lifestyle Organization) shows us how.
5 Tips for Keeping your Closet Organized:
1. Aim to edit your wardrobe 2-4 times a year.
2. Seasonal Guide:
early Spring and late Fall are naturally good times to move things out. January is also a cathartic month of starting over and clearing out the old (clothing).
3. Plan Ahead: mark your calendar for the last weekend in April and the last weekend in September for 'closet organization'. This gives you a little time to adapt to the seasonal wardrobe transitions so you can be more realistic about your clothing needs.
4. Be Honest: Has it been over 2 seasons since you've last worn that shirt? Are you hanging on to outdated clothing just because you paid a lot for it? Don't trick yourself into keeping things that no longer inspire you or make you feel good. Moving out stale items can make it feel like a whole new wardrobe without even buying anything new.
5. Find a Donation Center: Giving new life to something that's old to you is a great incentive to move things out. Make sure to schedule time to drop-off the donations asap (don't let the bags hang around your home for weeks!)
• The Star: Amelia Meena moved to New York City in a roundabout way from Kentucky, bringing only 2 suitcases and dreams of Broadway. Nearly a decade later, she's sung onstage, acted on screen and has found the best thing about organization is efficiency (it's gone up to 4 suitcases now but that's still pretty good for city living). Her company, Appleshine, Lifestyle Organization, has helped men, women, families and businesses clear out clutter and make the most of their space. When she's not Appleshining someone's lifestyle, she's running in Central Park, playing violin with a bluegrass band, catching up on reading for her 2 book clubs or wandering around The Container Store.
• More Videos: Go To Video Channel
• Submissions Welcome: Are you a Maker? Do you have great how-tos and tips to share? Do you have a winning personality or are you just a great character? Tell us here and we'll consider sending our video team to tape you for the site.
Links and Related Posts:
• Unexpected Benefits of the Seasonal Clothes Shuffle
• Simple Sorting Trick for Closet Cleanouts
• Advice from a Pro Organizer: Fall Closet Cleaning
• The Seasonal Clothing Shuffle: What's Your Strategy?
(Image credits: Abby Ballin)