Storage can be a problem in a small apartment, especially if you live in a pre-war building designed before built-in closets became standard. One solution is to devote a portion of the wall to storage, using a closet system, freestanding rack, or a converted shelf.
- Laura is a professional organizer who lives in a 250 sf apartment. Her ultra-organized, covetable closet fills one wall of the bedroom.
- In Whitney's bedroom, an IKEA closet systems doubles as a clothing rack and home office.
- Previous Small Cool contest winners David and Im had a wall of storage in their space, with a sailcloth on a track that they used to open and close the closet.
- In our old apartment, we converted a tiny half-room into a walk-in closet using an inexpensive, wall-mounted ClosetMaid system.
- In Arthur's home, he removed the doors from a small closet and replaced them with a space-saving curtain.
- Melissa and Matt's bedroom incorporates an IKEA system for clothing storage. Bright colors in the clothing are carried through the rest of the room.
- George and Sara used industrial Metro shelving to create a small closet in their home office.
- Sebastian, a little boy, has a closet made from a bookshelf. His mom, Rachel, fitted it with a clothing rod and...voila...small space storage!
Photos: Jill Slater, Whitney, David and Im, Sarah Coffey, Evan Thomas, Rachel