When you have kids, it can seem like there's a never-ending supply of items that need to be stored near the door: bags, coats, seasonal accessories, outdoor toys, shoes…the list goes on and on. Whether your entryway is large or small, there are plenty of ways to keep the mess at bay. Here are some entryways from our house tours to give you some ideas as to how to make the most of your own space.
1. Family Friendly Austin ModHouse: Rows of shoe cabinets keep the entryway organized and tidy without taking up too much space.
2. Audrey's Family Collection: A bench, shelves, and hooks make this small wall an incredibly functional area, and some stripes make it a happy first sight.
3. Linton & Rob's Colorful Family Home: By using vintage pieces of furniture as storage and adding books, art, and a piano to the room, this spacious entryway feels like an integrated part of the home rather than a corridor to other living areas.
4. The Figgle Family's Cozy First Home: Backpacks are kept at the ready thanks to some strategic hooks and shelves.
5. Chris & Colleen's Small, Hip Family Home: I love the idea of hanging mittens and gloves from clothespins. This keeps them tidy, while also turning them into an artistic feature.
1. Carl & Emma's Well-Traveled Family Home: Shoes are tucked neatly under a bench, while hooks keep accessories and bags organized.
2. Lucy & Thomas Say Goodbye to their Artful Family Home: A shoe cabinet on unused stair-landing space, topped with some colorful art turns into an empty corner into a handy and beautiful space.
3. Pam & Bryan's Comfortably Creative Family Home: In this narrow entryway, everything has a place.
4. Ralph & Michelle's One Big Happy Family Home: You'd never know that they have four kids, thanks to all the hidden storage in this entryway bench. This is a great solution for a narrow space.
5. Laurel & Conor's Silver Spring Family House: Colorful accents make this corner a cheery spot.
(Image credits: Misty Adair; Aaron Lindberg Photography; Abby Cook; Apartment Therapy; Julia Brenner; Lizzie Ford; Sarah Rainwater; Leah Moss; Monte Design; Rachael Grad)