One of the more difficult things to organize, especially in a small space, is dress up clothes. Unlike day to day clothes, dress up clothes involve poufy crinoline-lined princess dresses and stuffed dragon tails that take up more room than we'd like. We've got a few organizing tips for you.
- Hang them on wall hooks. My current method of storing dress up clothes is to separate them into 2 batches: one batch is hung up on a caterpillar wall rack. These include things that do better hanging or require more space, like the aforementioned dragon costume. The coordinating helmets, hats and other accessories are hung together.
- Fold them into baskets and bins. The second batch is folded and stacked into a storage basket.
- Make room in a closet Other great ideas for organizing dress up clothes include dedicating some space in a coat or linen closet. You can hang a second rod at waist level so that the clothes are accessible to children. We love this closet with roll-out garment rack dedicated to dress up clothes found over at the Daily Biff.
- Hang them on a coat rack. But if you're not lucky enouh to have the closet space to spare, consider a small coat rack. It can hold quite a bit but takes up very little square footage. You could also use a small clothes rack if you don't mind using a bit more floor space.
- Hide them in a toy chest. If you like the idea of dress up clothes being out of sight when not in use, a toy chest is another great option. Buy something large enough to fit your childs' entire dress up wardrobe. The chest can double as seating in the bedroom or play area.