taking our shoes off in an effort to keep the house cleaner. But this has raised another set of issues. Our front door opens right into our living room, so a pile of shoes is a definite eyesore. And then...well..we have a lot of shoes. What to do, what to do? We've rounded up some ideas that might work, depending on your particular challenge.
- If you have the wall space, this cabinet from the Container Store doesn't take up a lot of room. Its shallow depth means that it won't take up a lot of floor space if, like us, your front door deposits you directly into your living room.
- If, unlike us, you have few shoes (or are better at putting your shoes away, try making this shoe rack.
- If you have your own stairway-ed entrance way (and you have an especially fab collection of footwear), you might want to steal a page from Gregory and Emily and display your shoes on the stairs.
- If your entrance way is long and narrow, wooden magazine racks can make your shoe collection seem almost like art.
- A variation on the magazine rack solution, molding, like picture rails, is another way to organize your shoes. Best, if like us, you've got a lot of high heels.
- If your front entrance way includes a particularly deep closet, install a plethora of poles low down and hang up your shoes. It might also be fun to hang them on a coat rack.