One of the smart things about origami is the way it folds something larger into a small, neatly designed package. Furniture and product designers often use lessons from origami to inform the creation of flat-packed items that can be easily shipped and stowed. We've rounded up a few examples, from small DIYable ideas to larger tables and chairs...
• 1 Made from recycled paper: Origami Organizer from Clemence Cocquet, $27
• 2 Made from screen-printed felt: Folded Felt Bowls by Meghan Burch, $34
• 3 Made from powder-coated steel: Blu Dot's Real Good Chair, $129
• 4 Made from 3 joined pieces of aluminum: Noguchi Prismatic Table by Vitra, $630
• 5 Made from steel and plastic: Folded Coffee Table by Arik Levy, $840