With longer hours spent indoors, lots of extra house guests, a kitchen that's worked harder than it has all year, and, more than likely, an increase in the amount of stuff in your house, now is the perfect time to start thinking about getting your home cleaned up for the new year. Here are our best posts of 2016 to get those cleaning wheels turning.
It's probably safe to say that we all want a cleaner house with as little exertion as possible. Whether through actually cleaning quickly or being a stickler about maintenance, here are are some avenues to a ship-shape house — and quickly.
- A Refreshingly Realistic, "Good Enough" Plan for Cleaning Before Hosting Houseguests
- One-Day Warriors: Tips for Cleaning Your Whole Home in a Day
- The "Must Clean" Daily Routine: 5 Quick To-Dos to Keep Your Home Consistently Spic & Span
Special Case Cleaning
From cleaning particular areas or cleaning up after special inhabitants (pets, anyone?) here are some tried-and-true tips for tackling specific cleaning tasks.
- Dirty Desks: Cleaning Hacks for Your Cubicle
- The Messes You've Been Missing: 10 Hidden Places to Check for Dog Hair, Dirt and Stains
- Your Embarrassing Cleaning Questions, Answered
- The Absolute Best Way to Clean Grout
Cleaning Tricks and Hacks
Although the result is its own reward, most of us view cleaning as a chore. Following are some clever ways to take some of the pain out of the drudgery.
- 7 Things Around the House You Can Fix or Clean With Just Toothpaste
- Regain Control: 7 Bad Housekeeping Habits to Quit Right Now
- The 3-Word Cleaning Strategy that's a Shortcut to Spotless
- The Beginner's Guide to Cleaning Your Whole Apartment in Half the Time: 3 Rules to Live Clean By
Mind Over Matter
Like so many other things in life, your home's cleanliness as well as your personal approach to cleaning are at least partially a matter of perspective. Here's how to psych yourself up to clean, how to convince yourself you're good as-is, or how to use cleaning to brighten your spirits.
- How To Trick Yourself Into Being One of those People Who Actually Likes to Clean
- 9 Signs Your Home is Cleaner than You Think it Is
- In the Zone: Try These 5 Tiny Cleaning & Organizing Tasks to Instantly Lift Your Mood
- The Grocery Store Purchase that Helps You Keep a Neater Home
- Tough Love: 3 Hard-and-Fast Rules for a Cleaner Kitchen, All the Time
- Cleaning Wisdom from My Mom to You