While the rest of the world argues over white lights vs. colors, big lights or small, twinkle or steady, some of us face pressing lighting issues like, "should the lights go on the tree, or in the fireplace?" If your holiday spirit can't be restrained by the bonds of tradition, read on for eight aesthetically pleasing (or just plain fun) options for out of the ordinary holiday lights:If you're planning on an elegant season entertaining at home, perhaps you have the time to try out an elegant DIY lighting project like a mantelpiece lightscape, a fireplace light ball, or a glowing wine bottle centerpiece. If you're more the type to debate the merits of chili pepper lights vs. glowing Domo-kun, well, we've got you covered with that, too.
And if you happen to have a horse-obsessed child in the house, this recovering pony addict can tell you the glowing pony lights would absolutely have made my entire holiday. Sure, they might not be the most overtly Christmas-y of options out there, but sometimes we have to sacrifice elegance for the sake of what the kids like. (And who knows, they might even have complemented the 20 or 30 horse-shaped ornaments I insisted on putting on the tree every year).
1. How to make a glittering lightscape — Apartment Therapy
2. DIY Fireplace Light Ball — Real Simple
3. Scrappy Ribbon Garland — Whitney Caroline Designs
4. DIY Wine Bottle Light — Wit & Whistle
5. A Wreath of Lights — Real Simple
6. Sky Love the Holidays Tree Topper — ModCloth $12.99
7. Pony String Lights — Urban Outfitters $24
8. Domo Party Lights — FredFlare $20
Images: As credited above.