A lot of design mistakes seem to come from disregarding the importance of scale — the tiny sofa that got lost at sea in an expansive living room, a mammoth bath vanity that swallowed a dainty powder room; however, with lighting it may be a different story. Large globular pendants do for a room what chunky necklaces do for an outfit: create a high impact focal point and add instant interest to the sparest of rooms. Here are a few simple-formed, large-scale lights that stole our breath....
• 1 Ok, this room is anything but spare. Still, the super-sized pendant — along with the rug — grounds this high traffic, transitional area by giving it a focal point.
• 2 Another shape or size chandelier may make this room appear much more traditional, but the large scale and simple globe shape give it a distinct modern edge.
• 3 This simple paper lantern makes a big statement. We like how the its shape mimics the base of the pedestal table.
• 4 We've seen this picture a million and one times and still gasp every time. Without the pendant it might just be a monotone workspace, but with the pendant it's pure dreamy inspiration.
• 5 We like the contrast between the long, clean lined parsons table and the single large round pendant.
(Images: 1: Erik Johnson via Design Public, 2-3: Better Homes and Gardens, 4: via Decorology, 5: Domino)