We are (and should) becoming less reliant on piles of papers and file cabinets. Our computers are shrinking. So, while I love those fabulous old lawyer's desks (bigger than the average dining room table), they are a tad impractical for most people, especially apartment dwellers. Here are five compact and space-saving desks and workspaces. Not only do they leave a minimal footprint, many of these can be shut up and tucked away when you want to escape from the seductive come-hither of your computer screen. And nothing makes a room look messier than a stack of bills on a messy desk.
In a funny way, these compact little wonders are a bit reminiscent of the old fashioned secretaries, which had fold out desk tops for writing letters with an actual pen! The horror! I use the good old reliable West Elm Parsons desk because I have the space. But if I were still in my 1 bedroom I would go for one of these cool space-saving options.
• 1 Dwell. A space saving work station that has doors and shelves that can be obscured with ease, as in the image on the right.
• 2 Love this pretty little desk from House to Home.
• 3 Historic Home as Work in Progress. This fabulous teak custom built in cabinetry includes a very tidy flip-out work area.
• 4 Here a vintage hutch doubles as a storage space and workspace. Brabourne Farm.
• 5 Tiny flip-down desk in a hotel featured in Space-Saving Ideas From Good Hotel.
Sources: As credited above.