There's not much we wouldn't do for our dogs. Over the years I've watched favorite furnishings turn into chew toys, learned to sleep while balancing on the very edge of the mattress so my boy Hoffman can slumber in full extension, and cut nights out short to return home and prepare dinner for His Highness. So when it came to finding a new dog bed, I searched high and low for the best of the best. Here are my top picks.
(Images: 1. Chad Schroer, the rest, as linked above)
- My favorite pick, and the bed I ultimately chose, is the custom, handcrafted cover and mattress by Lilly and Abbie Dog Beds. You select the size and shape of the mattress and then choose the duvet top, trim and side fabrics from a large selection of durable, washable designs (or can supply your own) to create a truly custom bed. Two weeks after I placed my order online, the bed was delivered in a beautifully wrapped package with a handwritten thank you note from the owner. Nice touch! Prices start at $110 for the small, round size. I designed the lucite bed, which was fabricated by JMK Displays for $250.
- If there are truly no limits to your love and your checking account, My Best Friend's Home crafts outrageous weather-resistant designs out of premium varnished woods. Offered in several architectural styles, each home includes shatter-resistant glass windows, a roof with integrated water drainage, and is engraved with a unique serial number. My favorite is the Bauhaus-inspired Cubix, starting at €1,999.
- The Pet Project is a Scandinavian company known for crafting modern and luxurious beds and accessories from natural materials such as leather, lambs wool, steel, wood and glass. My two favorite beds are Hermann's Heaven, a wool and chrome bed in dark grey beginning at $130 for the small size, and Missy's Dreamer in smoked acrylic with grey mattress or white acrylic with green mattress; $430 for the small size.
- For the mod pet, LuLu's Hideaway is a sleek geometric pod in cool white acrylic with a purple mattress; $339.
- Need to match your Knoll sideboard? Eddie's Room is a walnut cube atop a chromed steel base; $480.
- For easy mobility, a frameless bed is often a simple and more affordable option. I love this Fatboy Doggielounge in sturdy PVC-coated Marimekko fabric; $139 for the small size. Or choose this soft-framed Urban Denim Lounge Bed by P.L.A.Y. (Pet Lifestyle And You). I love the tough, 100% cotton denim material and bright orange piping covering this cozy, soft-walled bed. All of P.L.A.Y.'s beds are stuffed with their own trademarked filler created from cleaned and recycled plastic bottles! This bed in the small size sells for $98.
- Bowhaus NYC is a great source for stylish and funky furniture, clothing and accessories for urban pets. If your pooch has a crate that needs dressing up, they offer several "cabanas" and mattresses to enclose and beautify that boring metal box. This Nautical Stripe Crate Cover and Bed Set starts at $211, with the pieces also available separately.